Department of Social Epidemiology
Naoki Kondo，MD, PhD. Professor & Chair
We study social determinants of health and how to achieve health equity. Social determinants of health at the levels of society and community include income inequality, economic crises, and social capital; and those at individual level include income, educational attainment, occupation, and interpersonal relationships. We have also conducted intervention studies aiming to achieve health equity in the community.
Research and Education
Key research topics:
- Japan Gerontological Evaluation Study: the longitudinal study on social determinants of older adults’ health involving over 300 thousand people living in nearly 100 municipalities in Japan and two regions in other Asian countries.
- Social prescribing: Building the close partnerships between medical care and community welfare services and local communities, never to bring patients back to the place which made them sick.
- Collaborative studies with business sector and governments: Building social services to reduce health inequality, applying for the latest behavior scientific theories and evidence.
- Causal inferences in social epidemiology: Developing statistical methods accurately evaluating the impacts of changing social systems on the health of individuals with diverse social backgrounds.
- Planetary health sciences: Collaborative study with multiple disciplines: aiming to achieve a better future harmonizing between the planet, living nature, and human.
Selected Recent Publications
(Full list: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ESq4XuAAAAAJ&hl=en)
- Haseda M, Takagi D, Stickley A, Kondo K, Kondo N*. Effectiveness of a community organizing intervention on mortality and its equity among older residents in Japan: A JAGES quasi-experimental study. Health Place. 2022;74:102764.
- Inoue K*, Watson KE, Kondo N, Horwich T, Hsu W, Bui AAT, Duru OK. Association of Intensive Blood Pressure Control and Living Arrangement on Cardiovascular Outcomes by Race: Post Hoc Analysis of SPRINT Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Mar 1;5(3):e222037.
- Nishioka D, Takaku R, Kondo N*. Medical expenditure after marginal cut of cash benefit among public assistance recipients in Japan: natural experimental evidence. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2021:jech-2021-217296.
- Sato K*, Amemiya A, Haseda M, Takagi D, Kanamori M, Kondo K, Kondo N. Post-disaster Changes in Social Capital and Mental Health: A Natural Experiment from the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2020.DOI: 10.1093/aje/kwaa041
- Nansai K*, Fry J, Malik A, Takayanagi W, Kondo N. Carbon footprint of Japanese health care services from 2011 to 2015. Resources Conservation and Recycling 2020;152:104525.
- Nagatomo W, Saito J, Kondo N*. Effectiveness of a low-value financial-incentive program for increasing vegetable-rich restaurant meal selection and reducing socioeconomic inequality: a cluster crossover trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2019;16:81.
Department of Social epidemiology
Assistant Professors：Kosuke Inoue, Maho Haseda, Koryu Sato